Thursday, February 28, 2013

Koh Samui - the rest of the story

Our resort in Koh Samui was absolutely wonderful.  It was right on the beach and it was breathtaking.



Like I said, right on the beach.  This was the view from where we ate lunch everyday.  It was spectacular.



I tried to spend most of my time relaxing, but I did take a day to walk around and take photos.









There were little ponds all over the property and they kept bowls of food so visitors could feed the fish.  It seems dumb, but I thought it was fun.  That fish could have been a little more grateful, I just filled his belly with red and green cereal-like balls of food.  If that doesn't satisfy you, I don't know what will.



In the evenings, Esther pulled me away from the resort to enjoy the local night life.  Yes, we did more shopping... and then some more later.  Though, I must say, I didn't sample any of the local cuisine.  Nope, the pig on a spit did not tempt me.  I tried to be adventurous, so I tasted all the foods that Esther got, unless it was really disgusting looking.  In that case, I stuck to my hotdogs and pizza.



Esther was the planner of this trip - therefore, I did what she said (though I wasn't always excited about it, I always ended up having a great time).  She found a boat tour for us to go on that took us on a trip to the surrounding islands.  They may look familiar to you - these islands were in the movie The Beach and in a James Bond film.  The island featured in that movie is even called James Bond Island.




The beauty here is just spectacular.  I couldn't stop staring.  Have you ever seen water that color?  I went snorkeling in that water.  I've never gone snorkeling before (not counting the public pool) and once I got over the fear of being killed by a shark, I really enjoyed the experience.



It took quite awhile to get used to breathing through the snorkel, but once we hit our stride it was really easy.  We swam in that water for an hour and didn't rest one time.  There's something different about that water.  It didn't even feel like I was working to stay afloat.  It's hard to explain, but it was pretty cool.



One of the stops on our boat tour gave us the opportunity to climb to the top of an island.  It gave us a few that was absolutely breathtaking.



This is one of my favorite photos from our trip, not sure why thought.  But then again, any photo of this place is my favorite.



Poor Esther had to push and pull me through this whole trip.  I'm a huge wuss.  Seriously, I am.  Heights aren't my favorite, so after climbing up staircase ladder number 2, I was a little freaked out.  But she convinced me to go up and I'm glad she did.



Have you even been jealous of a cricket?  I've never been jealous of a cricket, but just imagine the life this little guy leads.  From where I'm sitting, his life looks pretty good.



We ended our tour with lunch on an island and then we were off to a different island for a little swimming and kayaking (yes, we flipped it).



Esther and I were both very excited to ride and elephant.  We sort of felt bad sitting on her, but we tried to remember that she's a big, strong elephant.  I also tried to not get freaked out, but it wasn't very easy.



And then I looked at the trail we would be taking and I started to worry.  A huge elephant would be walking over that trail?  Yikes.



We survived and Esther even did a little driving.  Ok, not really, but she did sit in front for quite awhile.  It was hard to see the elephants in that environment and not wonder if they are being properly cared for.  But our guide sang to her the whole ride.  It was the sweetest thing.  In between commands that sounded like grunting, he sang the sweetest songs to her.  We even go to meet her baby.

We met her baby because the baby charged at us - he was so excited to see his mom. We were freaking out at first, so we were happy to find out he was just excited.  It was pretty adorable.



After our elephant ride, we have a few minutes before we needed to get back on the bus, so we headed to the falls.  Esther started to try to climb up that big rock behind her and thats when I put my foot down.  No, you may not climb that large rock in your flip flops.




Being the brave one, Esther tried coconut milk/juice/stuff.  I waited until I had a coke in hand to wash out any bad taste.



It was pretty gross, but I'm glad I tried it.  Esther couldn't even keep drinking it - and that's saying something.  She likes everything!

Koh Samui was my favorite part of our entire trip.  It was just so beautiful.  Also, the beach was amazing and I even came back with a nice tan burn.

1 comment:

  1. I rode an elephant once...but it was at a children's zoo in Seattle, Washington! Amazing the fun stuff you and Esther have gotten to do halfway around the world.

    ReplyDelete